Re: Release 8.1.5.

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 07:07:11 GMT

Don't use it. 8.1.5 AND 8.1.6 are no longer supported (or at least in desupport by end of year notice).

However, your real question (I think) is - a point of view on Oracle8i (includes 8.1.5, 8.1.6 and 8,1,7) Oracle8i Release 3 = Oracle 8.1.7 and that is, in my opinion, a very decent, relatively bug freed and reasonably stable version. It's also the 'terminal release' prior to Oracle9i ( = 8.2.x), meaning it is the one that will receive official support and patches for several years to come.

Then again, your question might be - how do the features compare to other databases? (my opinion - reasnably well), how quick is it? (depends on the effort to tune & maintain); how expensive is it? (using comparable features, about the same price as equivalent other big iron databases - compare SQL Server Enterprise to Oracle Standard ad you get a 'rough' feature equivalence) and so on. I'm biased -I like the product a lot.

/Hans