Re: Student needs help for his thesis !

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 06:27:35 GMT

Best thing for someone new to Oracle (database) is a book called

Oracle Essentials
(O'Reilly - ISBN 1-56592-708-7)

I've loaned my copy out to a number of people, including hardware technical support people, and they all returned my copy AFTER buying their own. It goes into the right depth of knowledge for a new person, has enough info as quick reference for an experienced DBA and is reasonablly short (340 pages)

After that, check out http://technet.oracle.com (free registration & a whole lot of useful stuff there, including the database and all documentation free). Get the software and the install documentation from technet, install, then get some of the software samples to kick start your project.

As far as the kernel recompile - on Solaris the recompile requirement is several Solaris versions back - you must however be able to edit the /etc/system file with appropraite Shared Memory parameters (the default provided in the Oracle installation for Solaris is OK)

Only kicker, as far as I'm concerned - mimimum memory is 256MB, minimum free disk space is 2 GB.

/Hans