Re: $ORACLE_HOME

From: Simon Waters <Simon_at_wretched.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 21:11:56 +0000

Harry Tedjo-putranto wrote:

> ORACLE_HOME Configuration

> when logged in as oracle if I do a CD $ORACLE_HOME
> It will change the directory to home\oracle

It's very hard to say what your doing wrong not much of what you have said reveals anything.

I presume you mean "/home/oracle" as the home directory for Oracle. And "cd $ORACLE_HOME" as Unix is case sensitive.

I'm guessing you came from a Microsoft world....8)

> What am I doing wrong? How should I execute my .profile so it will take
> effect? Thanks in advance

If the home directory of oracle is /home/oracle, then when logged in as oracle you should be able to do;

cd	<-go to home directory
pwd	<- show me my home directory name
. ./.profile	<- manually execute my own .profile
echo $ORACLE_HOME <- show me what the Oracle home setting is.
set 	<- show me my environment variables.

Possible reasons include you are not using the Posix or Korn shell for the Oracle user and thus .profile isn't run when you log in. I use the Posix shell in /usr/bin/sh for my Oracle accounts on HP-UX. Try "echo $0" when logged in to see which shell you are running. I also have my Oracle user home directory set the same as 'ORACLE_HOME' although I don't think this is required but it saves time if you only have one Oracle instance on the machine.

        HTH         Simon

--
Want to learn about Linux? Get it installed?
Devon and Cornwall LUG Event for UK Linux Day