how do you audit a web user in the database using single oracle user

From: <u51116943_at_spawnkill.ip-mobilphone.net>
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 15:48:31 GMT

How do you audit a web user in the database using a single named oracle user?

Our current multi Oracle user client/server system has triggers everywhere to update a record with the name of the user who is doing the updating, e.g.
  :new.LAST_USER = user;

The idea is to change the trigger so that it gets the web user rather than the Oracle named user (which, in the web world, is now the same for every logon). e.g.
  declare v_webuser integer;
  begin
    select webuser into v_webuser from sometemptable      where sessionid = xyz;
    :new.LAST_USER = v_webuser;
  end;
where the 'sometemptable' is a system table or is a new table which has been filled in with the web user name plus the session for the user or the transaction for the update. This temporary table could get updated whenever the web user first logs on.

Questions are:

  1. As we move to a single Oracle user web system with logons now managed as data in the database rather than as Oracle named users, how do we automatically maintain the same update for the web user rather than the Oracle logon?
  2. Is there a way to tie a web based user (or session), with a database transaction so that the trigger itself can automatically update the LAST_USER column from a temporary table or some system table without having to be provided it explictly in the SQL?

Regards

Mel Christie
Plateau Systems Ltd

--
Sent  by  puregood  from yahoo  in area com