Re: Urgent: How to increase shared memory pool size

From: Steve M <micquest_at_tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 20:34:32 GMT

Davy Lam <kwlam_at_usc.edu> wrote in <3A5BC20F.1BC6_at_usc.edu>:

>Hi:
> How can I increase the shared memory pool size? I change the
>shared_memory_pool size to 20MB in the init.ora file and restart the
>Oracle. Then I use a monitor software (Spotlight from Quest software) to
>look at the parameter list. It is still 15 MB. The whole SGA is 66 MB.
>Why ?
>

>Davy

Davy,
Starting with the basics...
1. There isn't a param called "shared_memory_pool", perhaps you meant "shared_pool_size", but mistyped?
2. Was the file saved after you altered it? 3. Did you alter the correct init.ora file?

Run this script to see what value was loaded form the init.ora file (I don't know where Spotlight gets its info, so this may be redundant): select name, value
from v$parameter
where name like 'shared_%';

If the values are the same then you've achieved your intent, increasing the shared pool size. If they are not the same, then verify the correct param was altered and the file saved. Also, when you issue the startup command check the path used in the pfile startup parameter. Received on Wed Jan 31 2001 - 21:34:32 CET

Original text of this message