Re: Comparing Oracle with Sybase

From: Pablo Sanchez <pablo_at_dev.null>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 11:36:27 -0700

<jstappert_at_my-deja.com> wrote in message news:91qrmt$bvd$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com...
> I 'm not interested in the different features from sybase and
 oracle,
> because I only want to use a database with a very simple structure
 but
> with a great amount of data. But I ' m very interested in the
> performance of delete and insert command in sybase and oracle
> databases. Does anyone know which one is faster for delete and
 insert
> commands on a simple but big database?

For all practical purposes, they'd all be the same. What you need to do is have enough spindles to support your environment. A long time ago, we'd run benchmarks for speed (tps) and we'd only use about 200MB of a 2G drive. Even if we had 18G drives, we'd only use 200MB. This ought to give you an idea of what's required.

--
-pablo