Re: NLS - Displaying special Swedish characters

From: Frank van Bortel <fbortel_at_home.nl>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 20:09:27 GMT

IIRC, all "non-standard" (read: all non-US) characters have to be encoded. I would think you have a routine, that translates æ, Å, å, etc to the corresponding HTML escaped characters.
That would be a programmatic thing - you write your own routine, or use a supplied routine, in e.g. PL/SQL. Display settings and database settings are something different, and will not influence webbrowsers in displaying the above (escaped HTML) characters.

I would suggest setting trace_level_client=16 in sqlnet.ora on the client side, and fire up a simple login.
You will see the characters sets being exchanged, as well as alter session set nls_lang commends (if appropiate). Maybe that will give a clue in the direction to look for - I assume you now know 400% sure your database stores in the correct charset, and was created as such, etc, etc.

--
Hth,

Frank van Bortel