Re: Newbie DBA question (PLEASE HELP!)

From: Alan <alanshein_at_spambuster.erols.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 10:54:06 -0500

In-line below...

"Robert Martin" <rwmartin_at_sisconet.com> wrote in message news:8v1iaq0q3s_at_enews3.newsguy.com...
> Ok, when I try to use the wizard and set it up with the server name (which
> is the service name) and the user and password this is the error I get
 when
> I try to test connecting to the database.
>
> "Test connection failed because of an error in initializing provider.
> ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied."

Until you create users, there are only a few:

sys/change_on_install
system/manager
scott/tiger
internal/oracle

> Now, I can easily test the connection if I change the user name to
 "system"
> and the password to "manager". Everything works fine then. Also, I am
 having
> trouble granting users access to tables. It keeps telling me "Insufficient
> Privileges"

You can't grant priveliges on objects you do not own, unless the owner has granted the GRANT option to you, even if you are SYS or SYSTEM and created the objects in the user's schema. This prevents a DBA from increasing his/her salary after the HR database is created <g>.

> This really sucks because I have project that is supposed to use Oracle
 and
> the schedule is real tight (and my employer is too freaking cheap to send
 me
> to classes)

Yes, it does. You may be able to convince your employer to pay for 2 books:

ORACLE-The Complete Reference (it isn't at all, really, but is indespensible)
ORACLE DBA Handbook

both from Oracle Press. Should total around $100.

> Robert Martin (rwmartin_at_sisconet.com)
> Design Engineer
> SISCO Inc,
> 6605 19 1/2 Mile Road
> Sterling Heights, MI 48314-1408
> Phone : 810-254-0020 (ext 125)
> Fax : 810-254-0053
> "Alan" <alanshein_at_spambuster.erols.com> wrote in message
> > What is the error message?
> >
> > "Robert Martin" <rwmartin_at_sisconet.com> wrote in message
> > > I just realized I can connect to the database using SQL Plus. The
 problem
> > > is, I am trying to use the ATL Object Wizard in Visual Studio and it
 won't
> > > allow that user to connect to the database. I have no idea what to do.
> > > Anyone with Oracle/Visual Studio ATL Object Wizard please help.
 Thanks.

> > > "Robert Martin" <rwmartin_at_sisconet.com> wrote in message
 just
 so
 you
 an