Re: Oracle VS SQL Server - Which is best to back end ?

From: Anthony Mandic <am_at__lumina.com.au>
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2000 15:54:06 +1100

Alex Stevens wrote:

> I've been asked to make a comparison between Oracle / SQLS for a
> specification we're writing for a system which is too great for Access,
> (poor network infrastructure on site). So the solution is for a
> client/server system.

	If you have a poor network, moving to a client/server model
	will only make you suffer. But you are correct, this is a flame
	bait type of question. So you can expect to get biggoted responses
	like the clowns who claimed MS SQL Server was more expensive than
	Oracle or that Oracle had a great developer environment.

> The company contracted to support IT at the firm, will only support Oracle
> back-ends, and will not hear of SQL Server being installed. The main client
> however will listen to any argument for the use SQLS with VB.

	I'm not sure why you posted to a Sybase newsgroup then, but I
	would consider finding another outsourcer. Since when isn't the
	customer always right?

> I would prefer to use SQL Server, as I always feel more at home with
> Microsoft products (Technet support, big on-line communities), by my
> knowledge of any comparison with Oracle is nil.

	For a smallish system, look at either mySQL or Sybase Adaptive
	Server Anywhere (ASA). The other database systems you're considering
	(MS SQL Server, Oracle and possibly Sybase ASE) may be too large
	for your needs.

-am Received on Wed Sep 06 2000 - 06:54:06 CEST

Original text of this message