Re: Oracle VS SQL Server - Which is best to back end ?

From: Laski <iamlaski_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 09:58:57 -0400

Hi

    Couple of responses regarding Oracle's documentation.     I have used Oracle 8i as well as SQL Server 7/2000. These things stand out:

  1. Installing Oracle 8i - First time I installed - It took me 3.5 hours and then my computer blue screened. Put more memory (increased from 128Megs to 384 megs) and was able to install. Try to create a schema from the Enterprise manager - could never use it - had to go to command prompt and do it the "old-fashioned" way - dont know why the UIs are provided. UIs are slow too.

    Compare to SQL Server - easy to install - register a SQL Server and start using enterprise manager - no hassles.

    2. Documentation - SQL Server Books online is the best ever Documentation on a product I have seen. After using Oracle technet - I now am an expert in coining keywords for HTML search:-))

    3. On Oracle's positive side - I must say the XML integration and java enabled programming is pretty cool. I enjoyed writing stuff for implementing these.

        In SQL Servers defense - I must say that you can write whole programs in the stored procedures, T-SQL is strong. And so is PL/SQL.

        BUT what lacks is that I can write a Select in a t-sql stored proc. and return a rowset.

As a developer I rather use SQL server - I need not be a DBA to implement a SQL Server DB.

No offense to anyone here:-))

laski...]