Re: Oracle VS SQL Server - Which is best to back end ?

From: Duncan Hodson <jernau_at_gamesinferno.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 13:34:29 +0100

> The documentation is very good. in oracle the documentation is poor. Not
> even the examples in the documentation work.

I have to disagree with this. My last job was using Oracle, and i'm now using SQL server, and i have to say the documentation with Oracle is superb. I can only say that sql server's books online is average and lacks the quality of oracle's. Where the sql server docs say "you can't do this", oracle's would say "you can't do this, but you can try this other thing". :-)

> When writing eg. Procs it is much more easy to use SQLServer if you are
> going to use Dynamic SQL statements. Oracle is "heavy".

Nah, they're about the same. Oracle 8 has a PL/SQL (procedure) debugger built in, and i've yet to find one in sql server.

Perhaps it's the amount of time i've been exposed to Oracle, but i'd rather be using that than SQL server. It IS more expensive tho. Oracle tech support BTW is the best i've ever spoken to out of all the products i've been involved with.

Ta

Duncan Received on Tue Sep 05 2000 - 14:34:29 CEST

Original text of this message