Can you call Oracle triggers from VB?

From: Will Lusted <lusted_at_hinge.mistral.co.uk>
Date: 2000/06/25

Can anyone help me?
 I have the task of building a client-server MS-Access front-end for an Oracle back-end database. The problem I have is in appending new records to Oracle tables. My understanding is that Oracle tables do not autoincrement as Access tables do; instead the database uses a nextval function to return the next highest table primary key value from a sequence and a trigger to update the new record with this value.

I have worked around this by simulating the process in the front-end, so that the primary key values are determined from Oracle and written in the front-end working tables. The whole record including the primary key is then appended to the Oracle tables.

My concern is that users will append records at the same time and generate duplicate primary key values, since I cannot lock Oracle ODBC tables from within MS-Access.

Ideally I would like to be able to call the Oracle functions and have Oracle take care of assigning primary keys, but how do I do this from VB or VBA? Any suggestions would be welcome. Received on Sun Jun 25 2000 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message