Re: Oracle and Informix on same Unix box

From: Art S. Kagel <kagel_at_bloomberg.net>
Date: 2000/06/12

flowrlady_at_my-deja.com wrote:

> Hello,
>
> For debugging purposes we would like to install instances of both
> Informix and Oracle on the same Sun Solaris box.
>
> My Question is:
> What problems or conflicts might occur when running 1 instance of
> Informix 9.2 and several instances of Oracle 8.05 on the same Unix box?

As long as you are careful in tuning both so that there are no resource conflicts all will be well. IDS will take advantage of whatever resources you give it so if you configure too much memory or too many VPs you MAY starve Oracle. On the other hand Oracle will try to grab as much system resources as it can so you will also have to tune it to prevent starving Informix. The only real difference is I find Informix easier to reign in.

Art S. Kagel Received on Mon Jun 12 2000 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message