Re: IIS 4.0 asp - Oracle 8 Problem

From: Michael D. Long <lead_dog_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: 2000/04/01

What does a query against v$session reveal?

select status, machine, process, count(*) from v$session group by status, machine, process;

select status, machine, count(*) from v$session group by status, machine;

select status, count(*) from v$session
group by status;

I worked an issue with Oracle and Microsoft that exhibited similar behavior. While I could minimize the impact and get the load to about 60 users per server, I could find no way to completely eliminate the issue under MTS / NT4.

Note that I only observed the issue with components that were participating in distributed transactions. This behavior never manifested with non-transactional connections, nor with connections using local transactions.

I have found a solution with COM+, but this requires object pooling and manual enlistment in the distributed transactions. This is not an option for a scripting language.

My observations also lead me to believe that it is a side effect of connection pooling; the interaction of JIT activation (even on Win2K) seems to aggravate the problem.

Mike