Re: IIS 4.0 asp - Oracle 8 Problem

From: <oleg_sverdlov_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/04/09

Hello,

I have Oracle Objects 2.3, Oracle
8.0.5.something, PerlScript and IIS 4.0 on NT 4.

I use Oracle OLE DB provider,
and the problem is exactly the same. IIS stops serving ASP pages, and we can not "Unload application" from IIS panel, the server must be restarted.

I wonder are there any workarounds except to leave IIS for Apache+mod_perl or something?

Sincerely,
Oleg Sverdlov

In article <8bj9m4$ni3$1_at_lnews.actcom.co.il>,   "Gerald Berkovics" <gerald_at_coral.co.il> wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Background:
>
> I work on an application written in asp using
 perlscript.
> The database I use is Oracle 8. I use the
 oracle odbc driver, because the
> microsoft odbc
> driver for oracle has all kind of problems.
>
> The application runs on NT4 + IIS 4 + sp6a, and
 the oracle is on another
> unix computer.
>
> Problem:
>
> It seems that my applications hungs sometime.
> It happens 1 - 3 times per day (with days that
 it works okay).
> The IIS continue to serve html pages.
> The IIS continue to serve asp pages that do not
 contain database
> connections.
> I've check network and looks okay.
> At the oracle database everything looks okay.
>
> After my checks, I came to the following
 conclusions :
> The problem happens because any call the
 Connection.open hungs the specific
> asp page that
> tries to make the connection.
> The timeout is very short but does not affect,
 and We dont return from the
> connection.open.
>
> Probably the problem is at the asp to odbc
 provider or the oracle driver.

> If i make connections from other places,
 through the same odbc, it works at
> the same moment when it
> doesnt work from the asp environment.
>
> Also, If i write a cgi in perl , it success to
 connect also.

> From this i conclude that the problem is like
 asp application loosing
> connection to the provider or something.
>
> Ususaly the cpu is at 50% when this happens.
 Since the application server
> has 2 cpu's, this probably means
> that an asp is blocked at the connection and
 cpu is wasted o this block.

> IIS cannot be stoped from the services panel,
 so we must kill it or restart
> the server.
>
> I wonder if others have already encounters this
 problem, and if yes how did
> they solved it.
>
> Also, I would like to know if theree are
 debugging tools or other utilities
> out there that can help me
> find the exact location of problem.
>
> Thanks, Gerald.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Sun Apr 09 2000 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message