Re: Front end for Oracle

From: Andrew Schneider <aschneider_at_powervision.com>
Date: 1999/08/31

You can use any front end that supports a data access architecture (i.e. ADO, JDBC, etc.). If you go with VB, then you can leverage Oracle OLE for Objects (OO4O). This object framework supports all of Oracle's advanced functionality but requires that Net8 be installed on every client machine. ADO is also available for any COM supported IDE but is not very robust with the Oracle proprietary functionality (does not support REF Cursors from stored procedures, LOBS, NESTED TABLES, VARRAYs, REFs). In my opinion, there is no better way then OO4O for non Java enabled Windows based IDEs. If you go the Java route (J++, JDeveloper), then you can use Oracle's JDBC Thin driver (latest version 8.1.6 on Oracle ftp site). This driver uses Java sockets, is robust, and does not use Net8 (great for Browser applications). Good luck.