Re: Front end for Oracle

From: Simon Hedges <shedges_at_hhhh.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: 1999/08/30

Anup Vachali <atvachali_at_fedex.com> wrote in message news:37CAF8D2.D042789E_at_fedex.com...
> Hi All!
> I ordered Oracle 8 Personal Edition from the Oracle Website. But I need
> a front-end to start using it.
> Can I use VB as a front-end and if so how?
> Or will I need Developer/2000?
> Or are there other alternatives?
> Sorry for my "Newbie " questions . :)
> TIA,
> Anup.

You can use most things as a front end
(VB, C++, Delphi, PowerBuilding, Java), but the easiest (if you are starting from scratch) is definitely Oracle Designer. This is because Designer automatically knows about Oracle, so you can just pick a table and decide to base a Form on that. The Form will be created using a Wizard in the Forms bit of Developer, and will allow you to retrieve, insert, update and delete rows of data without writing a single line of code.

OTOH Oracle Developer is quite pricey compared to tools such as VB, C++ etc.

I'm not a VB user, so I'll leave someone else to answer the 'If so, how' element of your question.

Simon Hedges
Gloucester
UK Received on Mon Aug 30 1999 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message