Re: Reinstalling Oracle

From: Frank van Bortel <f.van.bortel_at_vnl.nl>
Date: 1999/08/27

"Eike J. Heinze" wrote:

> Leroy,
>
> I once did these things:
> 1. Start/Settings/Control Panel/Services: Find, if running Stop,
> Disable all Oracle Services
> 2. Run Oracle Installer (if possible) and remove as many of the
> installed products as it will.
> 3. Run RegEdt32: Delete key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/ORACLE and
> all it's subkeys.
> 4. Start Explorer via Start/Settings/Taskbar/Start Menu
> Programs/Advanced
> Navigate to
> %YOUR_WINNT_HOME_DIR%\Profiles\AllUsers\StartMenu\Programs\ and delete
> all Oracle program groups.
> 5. Delete your ORACLE_HOME directory tree.
>
> My experience is: Really read the installation guide and the READMEs.
> And I never had to re-install NT because of Oracle . <sigh>
>
> There is a way to delete the services from the registry but I
> forgot... Sorry. Maybe somebody else could fill in please?
>
> Regards
> Eike
>
> leroyg_at_earthlink.net wrote:
>
>> Can someone explain, or direct me to an FAQ or piece of Oracle
>> documentation
>> that explains, how to reinstall Oracle products if you feel
>> something has gone
>> wrong?
>>
>> I have installed Oracle 8 Enterprise Edition on Windows NT
>> Workstation 4.0,
>> along with Developer/2000 2.1 and Designer/2000 2.1.1, but after
>> trying to
>> set up the Designer repository, I was unable to shut down the
>> database using
>> svrmgr30, and now I can't connect to the database. I get the error
>> ORA-01034
>> ORACLE Unavailable. It has gone from bad to worse, and I am afraid I
>> have
>> done something irreversible. I cannot log in to Server Manager as
>> INTERNAL,
>> SYS, or SYSTEM, and I get the ORA-01034 error in all my products,
>> from
>> Designer to Instance Manager to SQL*Plus. I want to clear this up
>> ASAP so I
>> can begin learning to use Designer to model a new system. I am
>> willing to
>> resintall if it does not mean reinstalling NT as well. Does anyone
>> recognize
>> these symptoms and what can be done about them?
>>
>> All I want is a clean, desktop developer installation that I can use
>> to work
>> with SQL, PL/SQL, Designer, and Developer. I don't need anything
>> fancy in
>> terms of networking or extras beyond the Object capability. How can
>> I achieve
>> this setup?
>>
>> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Leroy
>>
>> /*
>> */
>>
>> Leroy Gonzalez
>> leroyg_at_earthlink.net

> [...]

Could you connect to the database in the first place? Were the Oracle NT services up and running? They don't always start automatically.

--
Met vriendelijke groet/kind regards,

Frank van Bortel
Technical consultant Oracle

Work:                                Home:
V&L Informatica BV                   Hunzestraat 4
Palatijn 3, 7521 PN Enschede         7555 WB Hengelo
PoBox 545, 7500 AM Enschede          (31)074-2425046
053-4341500