free PL/SQL beautifier

From: Scott McKellar <mck9_at_swbell.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 07:46:25 -0500

On my website I have just posted a free beautifier for PL/SQL source code, in the form of C source code. See:

        http://home.swbell.net/mck9/pls/

This new utility is named plsb. Like the other utilities available on my site, plsb is open software, distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License.

Plsb is in an early stage of development. It is useful for reformatting code which is haphazard and chaotic -- and we have a lot of that in our shop -- but you will still need to spend some time manually editing its output. The main thing plstok does is to align BEGIN with END, IF with END IF, and so forth.

Plsb doesn't yet deal very gracefully with SQL statements such as SELECT. It also puts out some excessively long lines without breaking them up into smaller ones. I plan to remedy these and other defects in future releases.

Meanwhile I am releasing plsb partly because others may find it useful, even in its primitive state, and partly in the hope of receiving some feedback. In particular, plsb will no doubt mistreat various forms of syntax which I'm not familiar with, or which I didn't consider. It's difficult to anticipate those kinds of problems without doing a full analysis of the semantics, and I wanted something in a hurry.

Scott McKellar mck9_at_swbell.net
http://home.swbell.net/mck9/pls/ Received on Sun Jul 11 1999 - 14:46:25 CEST

Original text of this message