Mystery Solved! P R E F E T C H -- Trick to using prefetch in JDBC with Oracle

From: Peter B. Nelson <PBNelson_at_Black-Hole.com>
Date: 27 May 1999 10:13:02 -0500

RowPrefetch works just fine; my problem was with Borland's jBuilder2. JBuilder2 has something called the "Execution Log" which is a nice Windows GUI version of the normal JAVA DOS console. It turns out that this Execution Log window has a buffer of 10 lines.

Now then... I had been eyeballing performance by what I saw in the Execution Log window. What I had thought to be the prefetch queue stubbornly refusing to budge from its default of 10 was actually the Execution Log window queue, which cannot be changed as far as I know.

Testing with timers and no visual output, proves that the setRowPrefetch and setDefaultRowPrefetch features work just fine. Received on Thu May 27 1999 - 17:13:02 CEST

Original text of this message