Re: Linux betas NT in TPC testing, running Oracle8

From: Christopher B. Browne <cbbrowne_at_news.brownes.org>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 02:40:54 GMT

On Thu, 29 Apr 1999 15:07:19 GMT, linux_whacko_at_my-dejanews.com <linux_whacko_at_my-dejanews.com> posted:
>In article <TOYV2.17252$95.541737_at_news2.giganews.com>,
> cbbrowne_at_hex.net wrote:
>> MSMQ bears a "more than marked resemblance" to IBM's MQSeries message
>> queueing system, which, as far as I can tell, does not run on Linux.
>> (FalconMQ *does* have a version of their MQSeries "clone" that runs on
>> Linux, but that is quite recent, postdates their port to SCO, and note
>> that it is designed to "talk" to an MSMQ server. You can't run an MQ
>> clone on Linux at present without having an NT box around as the
>> "controller.")

>YES, the guy at the bottom is WRONG. MQSeries runs on Linux. Well, ok, maybe
>not yet. IBM is porting the e-commerce pack to Linux, which include
>MQSeries.... I KNOW LINUX WILL BE RUNNING MQSERIES SOON.

How can I possibly be WRONG in saying that MQSeries, *as far as I can tell,* does not run on Linux?

Can you give me a URL to the shipping edition of MQSeries Server for Linux from IBM?

I daresay not. According to IBM, Linux is not one of the supported platforms for MQSeries server, which runs on AIX, NT, Solaris, HP/UX, OS/390, VMS, MPE/ix, OS/2, OS/400, VSE/ESA, NCR UNIX, DC/OSx, DYNIX, SINIX, SCO, IRIX, Stratus, and Tandem. Note that Linux is not on that list.

Some MQSeries package might become a supported product, someday.

Such future possibilities do not contradict what I said.

-- Henry Spencer          <http://www.hex.net/~cbbrowne/lsf.html>
cbbrowne_at_hex.net - "What have you contributed to free software today?..."