Re: More benchmark bullshit, and Linux luser mating calls... (was Re: Linux betas NT in TPC testing, running Oracle8

From: Anthony Ord <nws_at_rollingthunder.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 17:41:26 GMT

On 24 Apr 1999 02:35:18 GMT, Stephen Edwards <ja207030_at_primenet.com> wrote:

>Steve Mading <madings_at_baladi.nmrfam.wisc.edu> wrote:
>: Stephen Edwards (ja207030_at_primenet.com) wrote:
>
>: : : You might have even had some good factual points to make, but they
>: : : are hidden inside your insulting demenor, so they are hard to see.
>
>: : Why should I bother? I've tried dozens of times to make rational,
>: : non-biased statements, only to be met by Linux-user-rabidity. Frankly, I
>: : can understand why Boris has the attitude he has towards Linux users... if
>: : they aren't going to listen to reason, why should I make an effort to
>: : cluify them?
>
>: You are predjudiced. Extrapolating some linux advocates' behaviour onto
>
>Against OS-Nazis?... Damn straight I am! And many Linux users are taking
>up the slack for the Macintosh-Nazis quite well lately, I might add.

There have been quite a few posts against misuse of the word "Nazi", yet here it is again. When the Linux community tattoo your EULA number into your forearm, then you can call them Nazis, but not before.

>Come
>on Steve... I _KNOW_ what sort of stuff goes through the zealots' minds...
>I used to _BE_ a Linux zealot... before that, I was an Amiga zealot...
>zealots don't care about facts... they only care about taking arguments to
>such any extreme to ensure that they don't lose face.

I'm very glad that I am not a zealot then. I must admit I live in accordance to the (French I think) proverb, "Facts are immutable, sooner or later dogma must give way to them."

This is one of the reasons why I wish to know the ins-and-outs of things.

>: the whole lot is no different than extracting some black people's
>: behaviour onto the whole lot, and it's wrong for all the same reasons.
>
>Well, your point is well taken, but I still get very sick and tired of all
>of the bullshit that seems to be coming out of c.o.l.a. lately.

It's an advocacy group. Signal to noise is deliberately lower here, so it can be higher in the technical groups. Though of course gratuitous cross-posting doesn't help.

>Why is
>there so much hatred of Microsoft... it's just a damned software company,
>for Christ's sake!

Because of the methods of this software company. Lying under oath and faking evidence in a federal court does not buy you friends.

How are Microsoft going to up the ante for the Caldera trial? I shudder to think about it...

>And I for one get weary of people thinking that using
>a UNIX variant makes them "smarter". Would you deny that a seemingly vast
>majority of Linux users carry this attitude these days?

Yes I would deny it. What seems to be prevalent are people posting to cola saying "I can't install Linux. It's too hard. It sucks. You all suck.", the stock response to that is "I managed it, so you must be less intelligent than me."

There have been too many messages from people saying they couldn't install a completely new operating system with a completely new way of thinking within half-an-hour. People who can, just can't be bothered any more. You could have a robot reply to subject titles just quoting parts of the cola Frequently Re-trolled topics.

Try posting on a calligraphy group "I can't do calligraphy. It's too hard. It sucks. You all suck." and see how short the shrift you will get is.

> It didn't used
>to be like this just 4 short years ago. How many "Windows-friendly"
>Linux web sites have you seen? I've seen _ZERO_.

What do you mean by "Windows-friendly"?

>Everywhere I look it's "Microsoft sucks", or "Bill Gates is evil". Don't
>these people ever get tired of this crap?

Everywhere I look I see "Linux is too hard to install." or "Linux is too hard to configure." Don't these people ever get tired of this crap?

>: In general, when you receive nothing but flak, there is a reason.
>
>Most of the time, Steve, that flak is the result of others not wanting to
>hear the facts, or possible facts thereof. I never evangelize WindowsNT
>as "perfect". I know it has problems.

Oh yes,

>All software does.

But not the same problems as NT.

>What separates
>the intellects from the losers is understanding that _NO_ OS is perfect.
>These days, it seems that very few Linux users can accept that fact that
>Linux has its flaws too.

Of course it has it's flaws, but many things put forward as flaws are just matters of opinion. Case sensitivity vs case insensitivity for example.

Half the things I would change are just my opinion.

When NT's flaws are put forwards, they are presented as immutable facts. Only a few people (people paid by the hour for trouble-shooting) claim that NT's crashability is a good thing.

>The only reason why I care about any of this in the first place is because
>every other site that I visit that has anything to do with Linux seems to
>have some "Anti-Microsoft" message or sentiment, and frankly, I'm very
>tired of sifting through it.

So? A while back, every site I went through had a "free-speech" message (against the CDA). As though I was bothered. Even crappy little hardware sites had blue ribbons.

>Maybe I just drink too damned much caffeine, I dunno. :b

Or too little.

>[] "No footnote for you!" -- Footnote Nazi
Regards

Anthony

| And when our worlds                   |
| They fall apart                       |
| When the walls come tumbling in       |
| Though we may deserve it              |
| It will be worth it  - Depeche Mode   |