Re: More benchmark bullshit, and Linux luser mating calls... (was Re: Linux betas NT in TPC testing, running Oracle8

From: Stephen Edwards <ja207030_at_primenet.com>
Date: 24 Apr 1999 02:35:18 GMT

Steve Mading <madings_at_baladi.nmrfam.wisc.edu> wrote:
: Stephen Edwards (ja207030_at_primenet.com) wrote:

: : : You might have even had some good factual points to make, but they
: : : are hidden inside your insulting demenor, so they are hard to see.

: : Why should I bother? I've tried dozens of times to make rational,
: : non-biased statements, only to be met by Linux-user-rabidity. Frankly, I
: : can understand why Boris has the attitude he has towards Linux users... if
: : they aren't going to listen to reason, why should I make an effort to
: : cluify them?

: You are predjudiced. Extrapolating some linux advocates' behaviour onto

Against OS-Nazis?... Damn straight I am! And many Linux users are taking up the slack for the Macintosh-Nazis quite well lately, I might add. Come on Steve... I _KNOW_ what sort of stuff goes through the zealots' minds... I used to _BE_ a Linux zealot... before that, I was an Amiga zealot... zealots don't care about facts... they only care about taking arguments to such any extreme to ensure that they don't lose face.

: the whole lot is no different than extracting some black people's
: behaviour onto the whole lot, and it's wrong for all the same reasons.

Well, your point is well taken, but I still get very sick and tired of all of the bullshit that seems to be coming out of c.o.l.a. lately. Why is there so much hatred of Microsoft... it's just a damned software company, for Christ's sake! And I for one get weary of people thinking that using a UNIX variant makes them "smarter". Would you deny that a seemingly vast majority of Linux users carry this attitude these days? It didn't used to be like this just 4 short years ago. How many "Windows-friendly" Linux web sites have you seen? I've seen _ZERO_.

Everywhere I look it's "Microsoft sucks", or "Bill Gates is evil". Don't these people ever get tired of this crap?

: In general, when you receive nothing but flak, there is a reason.

Most of the time, Steve, that flak is the result of others not wanting to hear the facts, or possible facts thereof. I never evangelize WindowsNT as "perfect". I know it has problems. All software does. What separates the intellects from the losers is understanding that _NO_ OS is perfect. These days, it seems that very few Linux users can accept that fact that Linux has its flaws too.

The only reason why I care about any of this in the first place is because every other site that I visit that has anything to do with Linux seems to have some "Anti-Microsoft" message or sentiment, and frankly, I'm very tired of sifting through it.

Maybe I just drink too damned much caffeine, I dunno. :b

[] "No footnote for you!" -- Footnote Nazi

--
.-----.
|[_] :| Stephen S. Edwards II | http://www.primenet.com/~rakmount
| =  :| "But something's wrong.  It takes me a moment to pin it down;
|     |  the monitor's different.  Instead of the nice 17' Trinitron,
|_..._|  there's a 15' raster gun in a dirty plastic case." -- Ben in ASR