Re: Which DB/Software suite combo is best for Web<->DB implementation

From: Mike Segel <mikey_at_NOSPAM.KING.OF.MY.DOMAIN.MAPSON.Segel.com>
Date: 1999/04/13

John Mullee wrote:

> nthelen_at_pbjcorp.com wrote:
> > Which DB/Software suite combo is the best for Web<->DB implementation?
> > What I exactly mean by this is that there are lots of technologies out
> > there and I want to hear some feed back as to what has worked well for
> > you, but also just as important, what has NOT worked well for you.
> > The projects are going to range from small to large so I am open to
> > anything.

The problem with using scripts is that each time called, you have to create a
new connection.

Skip javascript. Not secure and those who are paranoid or do a lot of web surfing will not have that feature turned on.

Server side Java == serverlets. Very easy to implement, and with JDBC, very efficient.

You could have a server side java application which has a persistant connection
and is independent of the httpd. This too has advantages...

Using serialization you can have good communication from an applet to the server side application. You could also use CORBA or RMI, with CORBA being the recommended choice.

As to web datablades, even Informix isn't really pushing them for "e-commerce"
(Sorry Paul B.) Their new 600K program is using IDS technology not UDO.

If you want another OO technology check out Apple's/NeXT's webObjects. Very strong technology too.

-Mikey

I know that there are those who swear by Javascript. But guess what. When you allow your browser to visit a website running javascript, you lose control over what the site can do with or to your machine. Until the browsers
enable you to turn on or off preferences against sites, don't use it.

But then again, I'm paranoid. I tend to think that there is some clown running around England who is out to get me. (A little inside joke! ;-) Received on Tue Apr 13 1999 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message