Re: Best aproach for multiplatform RDBMS development

From: <cjames>
Date: 1999/04/07

From "Ioan Berbece" <berbece_at_home.com>:

> Hi,
>
> I have a general question concerning multiplatform database development.
> Assuming I have to develop a (D)COM (or MTS) based server application
> running on NT which needs to be able to use any RDBMS the client already has
> (Oracle, Sybase, Informix, MSSQL, ... on NT or UNIX), which is the
> recommended approach so that the development effort is kept as low as
> possible (code reuse is maximized), the performance is not affected, and the
> system is (relatively) insensitive to the (hopefully minor) changes in the
> database schema.
> Any suggestions, links to articles, white papers, books, archives, greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Thank you.

Use logic table technology (LTT) implemented in ANSI SQL triggers (only -- no embedded SQL in procedural languages): it is 100% portable with real time performance. Also, avoid MSSQL: it is 24-times slower than DB2 and 12-times slower than ORACLE; and Sybase is the second worse performer. Note that DB2 is minimally twice as fast as ORACLE when using LTT.

See: http://www.cec-services.com Received on Wed Apr 07 1999 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message