Re: Microsoft meets the Oracle challenge?

From: Allan Kelly <ac_kelly_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: 1999/03/21

More Microsoft press releases that only tell half the story? What else is new? So they built a TPC-D database. So what? Any moron with enough DASD can do that. Larry Ellison's challenge was for Microsoft to produce a TPC-D database that was "more that 1/100th as fast as Oracle", claiming that Oracle was at least 100 times faster than anything Microsoft could build. I have yet to see the benchmarks. The TPPC (http://www.tpc.org) has yet to review the metrics and nothing has been published, as far as I know.

In short, Oracle said "my horse can beat yours in the Kentucky Derby". Microsoft responded by saying "Our horse is now ready to race" (in a rather oblique way, implying they had already won the race). Let's wait for the photo-finish.

Allan