Re: Question : Can I use jdk1.2 for Oracle 8i

From: Peter Wiley <peterwiley_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 1999/03/04

On Tue, 02 Mar 1999 17:49:57 GMT, Chris.M.Hawkins_at_HealthPartners.com wrote:

>Peter,
>
>Cris J. Holdorph noted:
>
>> If you use any JDBC 2.x or Oracle specific
>> methods/classes, your code will probably not work. e.g., You can not use
>> OracleTypes.Cursor, or OracleCallableStatement. Because you can not compile
>> with the Oracle classes, because the classes don't even match the JDBC 2.x
>> interface signatures (let alone support JDBC 2.x).
>

>I am not using Oracle extensions in my code. Nor am I having any problems
>with compilation. The problem I am having occurs at runtime. When, under
>JDK1.2 I run:
>
>Class.forName("oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver");
>
>I get a ClassNotFoundException. It works fine under JDK1.1.7
>
>Can anybody shed some light on what I can do differently to make this work for
>me under JDK1.2??

Your CLASSPATH is wrong. I don't know why, but that's the only thing I can think of. I can run against an Oracle database using JDK1.2 without any problems, but I have Oracle's CLASSES111.ZIP file explicitly referenced in my CLASSPATH.

It does work. Took me a bit of fiddling to get it all to work using JBuilder, but eventually I got that going too. Command line is simpler.

BTW, this applies to WinNT. I haven't tried Solaris yet, so if your problem is on a Solaris box, none of this may be relevant.

HTH Peter Wiley Received on Thu Mar 04 1999 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message