Re: Question : Can I use jdk1.2 for Oracle 8i

From: Peter Wiley <peterwiley_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 1999/03/01

On Wed, 24 Feb 1999 18:07:26 GMT, Chris.M.Hawkins_at_HealthPartners.com wrote:

>Ed,
>
>You, me, and everybody else working with Java and Oracle are waiting patiently
>for a new JDBC Type 4 driver for Oracle that works with JDK 1.2. I expected
>some kind of news weeks ago, but have heard nothing.
>
>To answer your question: No I don't think you can use the current Oracle JDBC
>drivers in JDK 1.2. At least I couldn't make it work.
>
>I suspect this is due to something Oracle has done and not true of JDBC
>drivers generally. I would expect most JDBC drivers to work with JDK 1.2.

You most definitely *can* use the Oracle Type 4 (thin) driver with JDK1.2. I am using it every day, as are many other people in my organisation.

I do not, however, use any Oracle-specific extensions but check my code against other database engines by swapping out the driver and URL. If you're using Oracle specific extensions, well........what can I say? Your portability is nil without a rewrite and things break, as you have found.

Please don't say that you need the extensions - been there, done that, heard it all before. NOT needing extensions is why we use Java instead of C or C++ with embedded SQL.

Bottom line: the thin drivers work with JDK1.2. It's time to look at what bits of your code that use these drivers don't.

Peter Wiley Received on Mon Mar 01 1999 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message