Re: Full-Text databases (Oracle ConText, Informix Text Datablades, Sybase Text, Texis, PLS, etc. - any opinions?

From: Chris Yearsley <news1_at_pandion.u-net.com>
Date: 1999/02/09

On Tue, 09 Feb 1999 09:30:42 GMT, no.email_at_nowhere.com wrote:

>I have an application that requires searching on a combination of
>structured and free-text fields. I'm considering using:
>Oracle with ConText

(A brief post, as it's commercial and I can't email the original poster)

I work for a company that develops a text-searching addon for Oracle databases. It's not for indexing of large documents - use ConText for that. It allows online or batch querying and updating of textual data, using single or concatenated columns that may be freeform or structured.

Name and address data is a typical example.

It allows retrieval using initial and multiple wildcards ( '%J%SMIT%') at indexed speeds, and can also handle synonyms ('%BILL%SMIT%' could optionally match 'Mr Bill Smith', 'Mr William Smithers' etc). Both searching, and data cleansing by duplicate removal are supported. Matches may be exact or fuzzy.

Our website is currently being redeveloped (www.xicon.com) but email me if you'd like some more information.

--
Chris Yearsley
chris.yearsley_at_xicon.com