Full-Text databases (Oracle ConText, Informix Text Datablades, Sybase Text, Texis, PLS, etc. - any opinions?

From: <no.email_at_nowhere.com>
Date: 1999/02/09

I have an application that requires searching on a combination of structured and free-text fields. I'm considering using:

Oracle with ConText
Informix with one of their Text DataBlades Sybase with their fulltext feature
Thunderstone's Texis
Other solutions which seem more kludgy (PLS, hacked versions of SWISH-E, etc.).

Anyone used any of these? Have any opinion on them?

I'm particularly concerned with:

  • performance: I know that at least unti the current versions, ConText made temporary results tables and did joins for each search. This seems rather slow.
    - ease of set-up and ease of use
    • necessity to re-index and usability of continuous incremental indexes
    • scalability: replication issues, etc.

Thanks!
RL

I DO NOT want unsolicited e-mail & I will bill you for it. By US Code Title 47, Sec. 227(a)(2)(B), a computer/modem/printer meets the definition of a telephone fax machine. By Sec.227(b)(1)(C), it is unlawful to send any unsolicited advertisements to such equipment, punishable by action to recover actual monetary loss, or $500, whichever is greater, for each violation.

Pursuent to US Code, Title 47, Chapters 5, Subchapter II, Sec. 227, any and all non-solicitied commercial e-mail sent to this address is subject to a download & archival fee of $500 US.

E-mailing denotes acceptance of these terms.