Re: Databases

From: craig <craigshaynak_at_compuserve.com>
Date: 1999/01/28

It really depends on what you're doing... if you have over 10 users at once and have a budget... go with Oracle or MS SQL Server.

If you have a few people who need to share data over a LAN... you can create an Access or FoxPro or Paradox (or Visual Dbase for that matter) database.

Since many offices use MS products which allow "automation", you may consider the Access path. (if you already use MS Word and Excel) In any case, Visual Basic is easy to learn and there is no lack of books and newsgroups to help with that.

Paradox language and Visual Dbase are harder but only because of the lack of learning materials. Frankly, I would be using Visual Dbase in more applications if there were more support. (I used to do a lot of Dbase IV stuff)

FoxPro is similar to Dbase products (at least it used to be) so if you have any dBase experience and want a MS product, FoxPro is for you.

Good Luck

PS I am using Access a lot for small applications so if you go that route feel free to contact me for help.

Craig Shaynak

Louis Johnson <ljohnson_at_nb.sympatico.ca> wrote in article <78nanv$b7n$1_at_garnet.nbnet.nb.ca>...