Re: Installing Oracle on /usr ?

From: OraSaurus <granaman_at_not_home.com>
Date: 1999/01/16

In article <369CB33F.3D6E97CB_at_gecm.com>, Dave Miller <dave.m.miller_at_gecm.com> wrote:
>ora7dba_at_my-dejanews.com wrote:
>
>> Having been an Oracle Administrator in an environment where the
>> filesystem(s)
>> / volumes were already created... I find myself in a new position as
>> both the
>> System Admin and Oracle DBA.
>>
>> For those working with Sun Solaris or other OS's... where do you
>> typically
>> install Oracle executables?
>
>/opt/oracle

Close, but not quite (unless OFA - Optimal Flexible Architecture - changed (again) after 7.2).

/opt is typically home to this kind of stuff,but not required. $ORACLE_BASE=".../app/oracle" is(?)/was required by OFA

So I use /opt/app/oracle as $ORACLE_BASE which results in /opt/app/oracle/product/7.3.4 as $ORACLE_HOME (for version 7.3.4). I used to use /oracle/app/oracle, but the SAs here want it under /opt. I can live with that.

And I demand of the system administrators that $ORACLE_BASE be its own filesystem. I don't want some (other) pig installed in /opt to run me out of space (nothing like CPU thrashing on writing to the alert log)! If you create monitoring report output under $ORACLE_BASE/... (as per OFA) and you want to be able to install a newer version before getting rid of your current version, allow plenty of space - at least double what the initial install requires. If you might add options later, like replication, context, ad infinitum, allow for that also. And figure that every version will take more space than the last.

If you intend to do this right, read up on OFA. I don't follow it to the letter, but somewhere in Oracle 7, they started forcing significant portions of it on you - in some situations (I don;t remember all the details). And most of the principles are good ideas anyway.

More importantly, if you "inherited" a poorly laid out system, don't just accept it. Redo it! Otherwise you might find that sometime you need to perform recovery and that all the lost datafiles, redo logs, and archive logs were on the disk that failed! (Granted - this is the worst case, but I've seen it done! And by a high-dollar model "guru" consultant at that!)

I have laid out nearly a hundred Oracle database servers on Solaris and any kind of disk layout task is one where you really want to "get it right the first time", not "slam it in and fix it later". Planning is well worth the time investment.

  • OraSaurus --
  • Remove "not_" to reply... --