Re: Partition Views

From: Chris Totten <ctotten_at_cix.compulink.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 12:21:43 GMT

In article <77imeo$kpl13_at_dagger.videotron.ab.ca>, michael.isaac_at_matrikon.com (Mike Isaac) wrote:

> I have a number of tables with names ending with the year.
> ie: Data_Table_1999, Data_Table_2000, ......
>
> and I want to create a view such that when I insert data into the
> table, it
> inserts into the table that corresponds with the current year. Can
> this be
> done either using partition views or Unions? Please give me an
> example.
>
> thanks in advance.
>
> Mike

Wouldn't it be easier to have *one* table called Data_Table with an indexed column called "Year" and create Views where "Year = 2000", "Year = 1999" etc...? You could create an insert trigger to automatically update the year for an insert into a given view.

Forgive me for not answering your *exact* question and responding with something which is probably completely useless! :)

//chris Received on Fri Jan 15 1999 - 13:21:43 CET

Original text of this message