Re: Informix vs. Sybase vs. Oracle vs. (gasp) MS SQL Server

From: Harnam Thandi <harnam_at_sybase.com>
Date: 1999/01/06

In most cases, row level locks require more resouces than page level locks. Hence having page level locks rather than row level locks will speed up your queries. There are, however, instances where row level locking is necessary (due to the nature of the transactions or the schema). This is why Sybase allows you to select different locking strategies for different objects. It is all a horses for courses issues. I have seen applications written to take advantage of page level locks that outperform row level locking. I have also seen the reverse. There has been countless arguments for both locking strategies and while they have their merits, the reality is that they are both needed.

Hope this helps,
Harnam