Re: Informix vs. Sybase vs. Oracle vs. (gasp) MS SQL Server

From: Jon Strayer <jon_at_acm.org>
Date: 1999/01/01

Anthony Mandic wrote:

> Gary L. Burnore wrote:

> > Tell the airlines that row-level locking isn't important. If the entire
> > seating table for a flight was locked for one attendent to assign you a seat,
> > it'd be caos.
>
> Thats a table lock. Any programmer who does this deserves what'll
> happen to him/her.

If table level locking is prefered over page level locking then why isn't row level locking preferable to page level locking?

> > Row level locking is quite important in some instances. I also agree with his
> > statement that to defend Sybase by saying that YOU don't think row level
> > locking is important is silly.
>
> I thick the claims being made are specious without any hard
> evidence to back them up. I have yet to see any. Can you or
> anyone else provide a concrete example?

It seems to me that this is the kind of question that should be answered in a good text book that also gives a big O kind of formula to tell when you need one or the other. Received on Fri Jan 01 1999 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message