Re: sql vs oracle

From: Dave Oakleaf <doakleaf-spam-no-thanks_at_mcs.com>
Date: 1998/09/19

On Wed, 16 Sep 1998 08:29:26 -0700, Naushi Hussain <naushi.hussain_at_alliedsignal.com> wrote:

>Following is the dialogue between me and a project leader for an
>upcoming project. The argument is about what DBMS are we going to use.
>DB size is 7GB.20k transactions/day. Can someone say anything in support
>of sql.

i've worked with both oracle and sql for about 4 years as our app is cross-platform using native C calls (not ODBC).

We have rather lengthy update transactions as the primary activity and that darn page-level locking in sql has really caused us problems. We can't scale up nearly as well under sql as we can in Oracle (on unix).

If you're developing something new in sql you'd should be aware of this 'feature' and its consequences. If you do it right, though, 20k/day is very acheivable.

In fairness I think sql 7.0 will have row-level locking, but I haven't read much about it yet.

Dave Received on Sat Sep 19 1998 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message