Re: FoxPro to Oracle Conversion?

From: Alastair Cameron <alastair.cameron_at_cableinet.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 23:33:56 +0100

Chuck wrote in message <35d0f5e1.5682470_at_news.digital.net>...
>Hi,
>
>I want to convert/upload a small FoxPro database file(*.dbf) on a PC
>to an Oracle 7.x database on our server. This task will be performed
>by a single user periodically as the FoxPro database is updated.
>
>I have no idea how to do this but I need to explain the basic
>technique in simple terms to my management as part of a
>presentation.
>
>Does anyone have a suggestion on best way to do this?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Chuck

Depends if you have a copy of Visual FoxPro or Access to hand.

Visual FoxPro 5 has an upsizing wizard to move a foxpro .DBC, and the associated .DBFs, CDXs, etc to Oracle and SQL server.

There are tons of ways this could be done, depends on your knowlege, the software you do/don't have access to, etc, etc.

Using an Oracle ODBC driver, you could set your tables up, and then from within Access or Visual FoxPro insert the foxpro data into a linked (Oracle) table.

Alternatively, if you have Excel you could open the FoxPro DBF, save as CSV and then use the Oracle tools to get the CSV data into Oracle.

If you want to automate this process, then again it's going to depend on what you have available to you.

-Al Received on Sat Aug 15 1998 - 00:33:56 CEST

Original text of this message