Re: HELP!! Migrating Oracle from UNIX to Novell Netware 4.11

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_pebble.org>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 22:36:44 GMT

On Thu, 13 Aug 1998 17:15:39 -0500, Azam Ali Mirza <aamen_at_uno.edu> wrote:
>--------------80809BFE8EF33326BC172E3E
>
>I am trying to Migrate all my tables from Unix( HP) to Novell Netware
>4.11.

Now, there's a downsizing... It seems on its' face to be making assumptions such as the hp is way too big for the hardware.

>I have never done this and I don't have any idea how to do this. I am
>using Oracle 7.3.Some of my questions are:
>1) How to do it??

Use the exp facility to put it into a platform-independent format. Use ftp in binary mode to move the resultant files.

>2)Does this migration maintain the relations and the data intact ??

It depends on how much Relational integrity your apps have used. You will probably need to do several steps - export with no data or use other utilities to create the database objects on the new systems (depending on whether there are sizing changes and some other DBA type fiddling), exp and imp the data with constraints disabled, then reenable the constraints.

>3)What about the users and the data and tables made by each one of
>them?? and the priviliges given to each of them??

That part should be easy, with some caveats depending on any fiddling you do. It is possible the HP stuff has some platform dependencies (look for definitions of environment variables and unix usernames that have OPS in them, and SQL code that does connects with just a slash and no username/password).

>4)Do we follow same procedure of migration with Oracle 8???

Yes, presuming too many O8 specific features are not used.

>Any sort of help will be really appreciated.

It might be worth while to get a consultant to evaluate the situation. Oracle assumes the presence of an experienced DBA for these types of operations. It can range from trivial to difficult, depending on what is there now.

cdo has been superceded by comp.databases.oracle.server for these types of questions, BTW.

--
These opinions are my own and not necessarily those of Information Quest or
Pebble In The Sky http://www.informationquest.com mailto:jgarry_at_nospameiq.com