Re: Oracle Vs Access

From: Fhule Name <email_at_address.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 22:40:12 GMT

It's a wonderful move. Oracle is practically bulletproof. I managed a production Access Database and a production Oracle Database. I reality I found the Oracle one to be more complicated but much more satisfying.

As far as pay is concerned. A good seasoned Oracle DBA can fetch almost double that of Access. Additionally, the market for Oracle seems to be growing by leaps and bounds. Once you get Oracle under your belt, you can opt to learn Oracle Applications, which gets you even more cash.

One on the most interesting things that I found about Oracle it the ability to take backups while the database is being used. Try that in Access and you will have a corrupt copy of the database.

BTW, you can download a free copy of Personal Oracle for Windows 95 _at_ www.oracle.com. Try it for yourself!!