Need help installing Oracle Client

From: Duncan Meskill <dmeskill_at_weg.twc.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1998 15:20:30 GMT

We recently installed Oracle 8 for NT. I work in a large environment (10000+ users) and have been assigned the task of installing our new Oracle 8 client.

Currrently, we have our older drivers (oracle 7.3) on a shared network drive. We also use the tns names file. Everyone's pc currently points to the shared drive. This way if we add a new Database or server, we update one file and everyone who needs it can connect to it.

But here's my problem. Oracle 8 uses net8 now instead of SQL* to configure the client. Not a huge problem but I'm not sure how to keep the older databases compatible.

Additionally, the original home was setup for Windows and not Win95. I can't install the new oracle 8 drivers for Win95 (we all use win95... this probably hasn't been updated). When I try to, I get an error saying the default home is for Windows only. I know Net8 supports multiple homes but the SQL*net doesn't (at least the one we have).

I'm guessing we need to do the following...

  1. Update the SQL*NEt to support multiple homes and update it for Win95.
  2. Install NET8 to the same shared drive using the default Win95 home.

My problem is I'm not sure how to approach this. Please email me at dmeskill_at_weg.twc.com for suggestions. If you know of a better shared client setup, please let me know as well.

BTW, in case your wondering, we originally tried using the 7.3 drivers on the client side and had some compatibility problems (although we COULD connect), hence the need to use the oracle 8 client drivers.

Thanks,

Duncan

--
Duncan Meskill