Newbie post: password problems in svrmgrl

From: Eric R. Sherrill <esherril_at_swbell.net>
Date: 4 May 1998 18:42:18 GMT

This is a Data General 5900 running DG/UX 4.11MU04, DG Clusters 1.04, Oracle7.3.3.
I am having problems connecting to the database as "root" user. The database is asking for a password where it never did before. Here is what happens logged in as root on the UNIX box:

[....]

#uname -a

dgux daintp01 R4.11MU04 generic AViiON PentiumPro

#/[Oracle bin path]/svrmgrl

Oracle Server Manager Release 2.3.3.0.0 - Production ....
Oracle7 Server Release 7.3.3.0.0 - Production Release With the distributed, replication, parallel query and Parallel Server options
PL/SQL Release 2.3.3.0.0 - Production

SVRMGR>connect internal
Password:
ORA-01031: insufficient privileges

[....]

And that's where I'm stuck. I tried all the default install passwords I could find (e.g. change_on_install , etc.) to no avail. The real kicker is that if I go in thru su oracle or su - oracle it works just fine (i.e. no password prompt on connect internal). This is ruining my scripts because the clusters software runs as a root daemon to do automatic failover between cluster nodes, and it needs to stop/start the database. So unfortunately I don't think a su - oracle -c "[script w/commands]" will do the trick. Any other ideas? (The only thing that changed is that I switched root's login shell from ksh to sh, then back to ksh. Is Oracle looking at /etc/passwd somehow?) Can I just login to svrmgrl as oracle and then "connect internal", then "alter user root identified by" and leave it blank to get back to the status quo ante?

TIA,
ERS

--
Eric R. Sherrill, Systems Engineer
Sprint Corporation (opinions mine, not theirs)