Re: Very Large DB

From: Bob Nightingale <rnightingale_at_comshare.com>
Date: 1998/03/25

For performance I would recommend the latter approach. I wrote a faxing service where I used a database to organize the data about the faxes, but I kept the text information and the resulting .TIF files in separate disk devices. The database contained file paths for the related files.

The problem you'll have in your design if you structure a database as a front end is retrieving the data. SQL*Net would probably be the protocol for retrieving the relational data, but you would have to have NFS or other shared disk protocol to get to your externally stored data. Triggering an FTP or using a proprietary socket for data download is another way.

You might consider prototyping both approaches with 1% of the expected data. That could get you out of the religious wars.

--Bob.