Re: Very Large DB

From: <mpir_at_compuserve.com>
Date: 1998/03/25

For what it is worth, we have about 6 databases that size or larger. Two of them are in O8. We are working on migrating the other 4 to O8.

For databases this size, O8, whether true relational or not, is where we want to be. The deciding factors are the fact that you can partition large tables, making access to them easier (partition level indexes) and administration easier (individual partitions can be backed up or recovered- possibly made read only.)

You haven't said whether you are doing OLTP or OLAP. We are basically OLTP and archives. We will be doing OLAP this summer with a combination of the 6. It will be O8.

We do not use the flat file approach.

I would suggest you go Oracle 8.