Re: Sort Algorithm

From: Bob Nightingale <rnightingale_at_comshare.com>
Date: 1998/03/08

Oracle is not a sorting tool. True, you can build indexes based on any combination of fields to retrieve data quickly (relatively). If you need to quickly sort data, check out Syncsort. The company I work for, Comshare, requires our customers to buy Syncsort to front-end large data loads into Oracle, which our application uses as the database. Syncsort saves our customer many hours (days?) processing time. If Oracle tables are loaded in a sorted order, then your indexes may be build with the "no sort" option.

--Bob. (Rnightingale_at_comshare.com)