Re: Backup of Oracle on Solaris 2.6

From: Harrison Picot <hpicot_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1998/03/03

Eric D Pancer wrote:

> Hello.
>
> Hoping there are some suggestions for a backup solution that I am
> currently writing a spec for. We are in need of backing up everythingj
> that is changed in Oracle each day, as well as a full backup of the
> database each week. If needed , I can provide more info on request (by
> then I should have it!!)
>
> I would just like to know what those that have gone thru this before
> suggest, in regards to saving what to disk each night, and what to tape.
>
> Thanks in advance...
>
> CC mail appreciated.
>
> Eric
> eric_at_REMOVETHISWORD.outlook.net

Hi Eric:

To get any reliable solution, you need to understand how the database works. There are several books out (probably all from Oracle Press) on backing up the Oracle database. While none of the solutions described will fit your situation exactly, understanding how the system works is well covered and the only way to plan a backup. You mention backing up "everything that is changed". The most important part to understand is that everything IS changed: the database is a collection of files which are either all in sync, or they don't work. You can't back up bits and pieces; back up the entire thing (or don't put your resume on the Oracle box). A simple stratagey is to put the system (Solaris, Dynix, UnixWare, or HP-Ux) on disk0, and your database on the other disks (backing up the system disk is not as easy), and then (1) shut the database down, and (2) then use ufsdump to dump all the other disks. If you leave the data base up (so users can keep working?), you have a collection of worthless files, all out of sync. There is lots more to know but this has taken care of many sites, and may work for you. The next thing you might want to know, is how to archive log files, because this system (done once a night), takes you back the night before if you need to restore. Not much good if you are a bank.

Note that 75% of people who have a drive failure, or user error, lose data. If you don't want to be in the 75%, you need to make some serious plans. Except for demonstration databases, the cost of data loss will exceed the cost to prevent it by a factor of really ugly (and that does not include the cost to you of having unpleasant people call you bad things when the data loss is discovered:-) Getting a good backup plan is much easier in a peaceful office than when the phone is ringing and people are pounding on the door, so you are better off putting the time in early (and to quote another sys admin, "Now I have scared myself so badly, that I have to run put a tape in.").

Cheers,

Harrison

--

My advice is my best, as I know it, but does not represent the
best available from Oracle, and may not be suitable for any