Re: Pick D3 to Oracle connectivity

From: John Jenkins <johnj_at_globalnet.co.uk>
Date: 1998/03/04

Hi

If the databases are on separate boxes, then the *best* way to do it (my view !!) is via a TCP/IP based client/server link. The Oracle API is well documented, and you can either use OSFI or a custom protocol (yawn - but it works) to access data.

I would advocate OSFI if you have someone who can cut the driver layer for D3 - retrieval of D3 data from Oracle is more moot - I can see a mechanism but it's awkward to cut although **quite smart** in use & I like it. (Something I talked over with Rudge Bowen *ages* ago before I joined up with Unidata / Ardent).

The mechanism involves a technique known as SPOOFING applied to TCP listening sockets - it's a way of hiding REAL databases behind interpretation layers without anyone else knowing or seeing the real format. Otherwise known as - THERE AIN'T NO-ONE HERE BUT US CHICKENS - HONEST!! All it requires is a database which supports networked file systems and a little knowledge of howe these systems work - some general & some specific..... Are you listening Andy Ludgate - you know what I mean !

Can anyone cast more light on the Oracle --> D3 side of the link as an OSFI integration alternative though?

Regards

John Jenkins