Re: Oracle the System of Choice?

From: Steve mouatt <steve_at_bedrockcomputers.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1998/01/26

Al Frick wrote:

> I am switching from Fospro for DOS to the Windows world. Most of my
> clients need client/server. File/server no longer good enough.
>
> But what software to use?
>
> Oracle seems to have a huge market share, which immediately tells me
> this is the one to choose. But I am worried about the complexity of
> Oracle.
>
> Several people have recommended PowerBuilder in conjunction with
> Oracle.
> [snip]

Powerbuilder is not your only choice and I would suggest that you look into some of the others before going down this route. Certainly a problem that I have seen, albeit secondhand, was that the required spec for the client machines (that is required to run at an acceptable speed not what it says on the box) seems to escalate with Powerbuilder. (That is not to say that some of the aternatives are not equally as guilty).

With the type of customer that you are dealing with I would have thought telling them that they need to upgrade all there PCs is likly to lose you the contract!

Some options to think about are the Developer 2000 set of tools from Oracle, Gupta SQL Windows, Borland Delphi.

I do not have the experience to really recommend any of them but I would suggest that they are contenders.

OTOH ever thought of going down the Intranet Root?

Steve Received on Mon Jan 26 1998 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message