Re: Entry Level Programmer Wanted

From: Moz (Chris Moseley) <"Moz>
Date: 1998/01/21

Joel Garry <joelga_at_pebble.ml.org> wrote in article <6a0b18$4ol$1_at_pebble.ml.org>...
> Of course there are radical differences, but couldn't someone who's
 sloughed
> through one work their way through another? You just have to adjust your
> expectations that the person will have a learning curve. It's not
 anywhere
> near as steep as the first time....
> Try training a COBOL person on an RDBMS, and you might appreciate how
 nice it
> is to at least come from a common theory.

Well, I picked up RDBMS from a Delphi/OOD background and it was hard, but nowhere near as hard as adjusting to the OOD from a pure Delphi/C background. The whole database concept was a bit harsh, with some of the niggly bits about client side / server side processing taking me a long time to get the hang of. I got a nasty shock when I went to Interbase, however, because I really could treat the OOD as Delphi plus persistent objects. (The Aoraki Jade is good like that). All of a sudden references were very expensive, and complex to implement. (among other things). In a RAD environment it wasn't a lot of fun for a few weeks.

Moz

Moz at home                                       email me as moz1
Isn't it nice to be at home?                      care of ihug.co.nz
There's lots of comedy on TV too. Doesn't seem to make children funnier. Received on Wed Jan 21 1998 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message