IBM OS/2 to SP2 connectivity

From: GK Subramanian <gksm_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: 1998/01/16

Hello,

One of our clients is trying to implement ORACLE Financials and GEMMS manufacturing software at all their locations.

Current technology.

IBM Mainframe , IBM PS/2 (all plants) , IBM SP2

0 The mainframe and IBM SP2 box is located at their central office.

0 All the plants have IBM PS/2 running OS/2 and are connected to the

   central office through a WAN.

Proposed technology

The new applications (Oracle Financials . CPG , GEMMS) will run on SP2. All the OS/2 clients will need access to the SP2 boxes while still maintaining communication to the mainframes. The client plans to transition to Windows NT in the next two years.

Q1. Has anyone implemented ORACLE on OS/2 clients or have a similiar

    situation. I would like to know if they can share their experiences.

Q2. What are the requirements for running ORACLE on OS/2 and having

    them talk to SP2 boxes over WAN. What ORACLE versions will we need     to run.

Q3. Does ORACLE support this kind of architecture. Will the GUI be

    the same on OS/2 clients ?.

Q4. Will there be any additional bandwidth requirements ?.

I would appreciate any pointers or other technical information.

Thanks in advance - GK. Received on Fri Jan 16 1998 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message