Help poor performance with Oraperl for perl5 (DBI Oraperl)

From: Mark Kornfein <kornfein_at_.crd.ge.com>
Date: 1998/01/14

--
We have an application that we are developing using the Oraperl interface
to DBI. (DBD-Oracle-0.47).

After doing some timing tests we have found the queries have very poor
perfromance. A query that takes 4-5 seconds to complete in sqlplus takes
50 seconds from perl. We have similiar ratios for other queries. The time is
being spent in the fetch loop (not login or open).

Also the query we are using is very simple "select x from table where y =2;"
it does not contain a join and returns about 600 records 1 field each.

We have been told by folks who use Oraperl for perl 4, that we need to
increase the cache size, but this is evidently not an option in
DBI.

Any ideas or help? Anyone else see this type of performance?

thanks,

Mark

Mark Kornfein INET: kornfein_at_crd.ge.com GE Corporate Research & Development Phone: (518) 387-5843 One Research Circle, K1-5B36, Schenectady, NY 12309